Wednesday, January 25, 2017

New Chunky Blanket Knitting Pattern: Over the Rooftops

I'm so excited to announce my new blanket knitting pattern - Over the Rooftops.

This chunky blanket is quick and easy to knit with super bulky yarn.  I really enjoyed knitting this blanket!
Over the Rooftops blanket knitting pattern by Fifty Four Ten Studio
Click here to purchase my Over the Rooftops blanket pattern on Ravelry.

The pattern is also available on my Fifty Four Ten Studio website.

Or, you may purchase on Etsy. or LoveKnitting.

If you prefer to use worsted or Aran weight yarn... please see my Look for Happiness blanket knitting pattern on Ravelry or on FiftyFourTenStudio.com.

FEBRUARY 2020 UPDATE:



INSPIRATION FOR THE PATTERN NAME:

If you are a fan of the movie Mary Poppins then you have probably guessed the inspiration for the name of this pattern.  One of my favorite scenes is when Bert (played by Dick Van Dyke) and the chimney sweeps dance to the song "Step in Time"...which includes the words "over the rooftops".  I love watching them dance across the rooftops of London. The texture of this blanket reminded me of city rooftops!

Over the Rooftops - chunky texture with super bulky yarn.
FIVE BLANKET SIZES:

The pattern includes instructions for five blanket sizes.  Approximate sizes after blocking:

XL Afghan: 57" wide x 60" long
Large Throw: 48.75" wide x 48.75" long
Medium Throw: 43" wide x 45" long
Small Crib / Lap Blanket: 37.25 wide x 40" long
Baby Blanket: 31.25" wide x 35" long

Any of the blankets may be made longer by adding additional pattern repeats.  In the pattern I have included estimates for additional yardage needed to make blankets longer.

SUPER BULKY YARN:

XL: 1400 - 1500 yards
Large: 1000 - 1100 yards
Medium: 720 - 780 yards
Small (Crib/Lap): 625 - 675 yards
Baby: 425 - 450 yards

Be sure to buy additional yarn if you plan to add length to your blanket.

YARN SUGGESTIONS: 

For this blanket I used Lion Brand Hometown (100% Acrylic) super bulky yarn in the color 'Dallas Grey'.  I really enjoy knitting with this yarn.  It's very soft… but also has great stitch definition so the pattern really ‘pops’.  See all the pretty colorways available and shop for Lion Brand Hometown on the Lion Brand website (US) and LoveCrafts.com (ships to US, Canada, UK, EU and many countries around the world).

Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick (80% Acrylic / 20% Wool) - I have used this yarn for many blanket projects including my Winter Dance blanket and Game Time blanket.  Great stitch definition.  Get more details and shop for this yarn on the Lion Brand website and LoveCrafts.com

Plymouth Encore Mega (75% Acrylic / 25% Wool) - A great choice for blanket projects.  Get more details and shop for this yarn at local yarn shops in the US and on LoveCrafts.com.

I recommend using a solid color yarn so the texture of the pattern shows up best.


BLOCKING RECOMMENDED:

One thing to know about this blanket...I highly recommend blocking the finished blanket!  The stitch pattern in the center of the blanket tends to pull together ribbing style if it is not blocked.

Here's what my blanket looked like before blocking...

Blanket before blocking...knitting bunches together in the center.
Notice how the center of the blanket bunches together. Taking the time to block the finished blanket makes a huge difference in the appearance of this design.  Blocking your knitting is not hard!  Allow about 20 - 30 minutes for setting up the blocked blanket and about 2 to 4 days for it to dry.

Here is the same blanket after blocking...

Over the Rooftops blanket knitting pattern.
How to block a blanket...

1. Soak the blanket for several minutes in cold water in the kitchen sink.  (I cleaned the sink first!)


2. Pull the plug to allow the water to drain out.  Let the blanket sit for a few minutes to allow excess water to drain off a bit.  Do not wring or twist the knitting.

3. Set the blanket on an old towel for a few minutes to drain off excess water.

4. Set up blocking mats on a carpeted or water resistant floor (don't set up on hardwood floors!).

Last year I purchased two sets of POCO-DIVO "child play mats" on Amazon.  Each set includes nine 12" mats that fit together like puzzle pieces.  I have two sets so I have enough pieces to make a mat large enough to block large blankets. These were the most inexpensive option I could find when I purchased them.  There are other similar products available...this set with grid lines and included T-pins looks very nice.

5. Carefully unfold the wet blanket and spread it out on the blocking mat.  At first your blanket will likely look a bit messy and uneven...


6. Spend some time carefully adjusting the blanket.  Use the edges of the mat and a ruler as a guide to make the edges very straight.  Check the stitches in the center of the blanket and adjust as necessary to make the rows straight and even.  Use rust resistant T-pins or other blocking pins to pin the edges in place.  Here's what my blanket looked like after I pinned it to the mat...


I usually set up a fan next to the wet blanket to try to expedite the drying process.  It can take 2 to 4 days for a large blanket to dry depending on the yarn, air temperature, etc.  It's worth the wait!

Here's another photo of the blanket after blocking...

Over the Rooftops blanket - knit with Lion Brand Hometown USA super bulky yarn
This is an easy pattern to knit for a confident knitting.  Even with an easy pattern, stitch markers are helpful for keeping track of the pattern changes. The green circle markers shown in the photo below are Clover Jumbo Ring Stitch Markers.

Stitch markers are helpful even with a fairly easy pattern.
WHERE TO GET THE PATTERN:

The Over the Rooftops blanket knitting pattern is available on Ravelry, LoveKnitting and Etsy.

If you enjoy knitting chunky blankets with super bulky yarn you might also like my other blanket patterns...

Click here to see all of my blanket patterns on Ravelry.  

Or, click here to see my blanket knitting patterns on Etsy.

I started designing and knitting this blanket over the New Year's weekend.  I really enjoyed knitting this design and I am thrilled with how the blanket turned out.  It's super soft, chunky and cozy!

Thanks so much for reading!  Happy knitting!

Mary Lee
Fifty Four Ten Studio

Ready to weave in ends on my new chunky blanket design.

4 comments:

  1. I've been working on Lion Brand's Simsbury Shrug using their Hometown yarn. I am loving the way it is turning out and have been thinking the yarn would be perfect for an afghan. Thank you so much for publishing the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your nice message! Hometown USA is great for an afghan...so soft! I'm glad you like the pattern. :)
    Mary Lee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone always states acrylic yarn does not wet block well, did you find that not to be the case? I am thinking of doing some cables in acrylic yarn but don't want to waste my time if it doesn't block well. Thanks for any help:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found that this blanket blocked very well with the Lion Brand Hometown USA which I think is 100% acrylic. I have also had good experience with Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick that has some wool content along with acrylic. I really think my blankets have kept their "blocked" shape long after blocking. However, I do not wash my blankets in the washing machine...so that may be a case where a blanket could loose it's nice blocked appearance after being washed in the machine...understandably! (I treat my blankets with special care so they don't need a lot of washing.) Thanks for your question.
    Mary Lee

    ReplyDelete