Saturday, January 5, 2019

My Favorite Knitting Projects from 2018

Before we get too far into the new year, I wanted to take a minute to say THANK YOU for your interest in my knitting designs, for purchasing my knitting patterns and for all your kind feedback. It means so much to me to hear that you have enjoyed using my patterns!

In November, I celebrated five years of designing and publishing knitting patterns. This past year was an outstanding and rewarding year for my little home based business...I appreciate your support so much!!

Here's a collage of my favorite knitting photos and projects from 2018...

Fifty Four Ten Studio - Favorite Knitting Projects from 2018
Here's a guide to the photos shown.  Click the links to see the blog post about each pattern:

Top Left: Childhood Wishes cable blanket knitting pattern
Top Right: Piece of Home blanket knitting pattern
Center Left: Quality Time scarf (and blanket) knitting pattern
Center: River of Dreams bed runner blanket knitting pattern
Center Right: Plymouth Select yarn I used for my Stay on the Ridge blanket pattern.
Lower Left: Game Time blanket knitting pattern
Lower Center: Stay on the Ridge blanket knitting pattern
Lower Right: Window Seat blanket knitting pattern

THREE FAVORITES:

It's hard to pick favorites...because I only publish the designs that I really love! (Yes - there are designs that didn't make it past a few inches of knitting...or I finished but wasn't pleased with the results.)  Here's my three favorite knitting pattern designs from 2018:

1. My favorite project of 2018 is my River of Dreams bed runner blanket!  I absolutely love how this project turned out!  And...I love that knitters have really enjoyed using this pattern.

My goal for this design was to create a classic style with a modern twist...take a basic, simple cable and make it really stand out with super bulky yarn.   The bed runner has a seed stitch border on all of the edges.  The pattern includes instructions for twin, full, queen and king size bed runners.  (Note: this is an accent blanket intended for the end of the bed...it does not cover the entire bed!)

River of Dreams bed runner blanket knitting pattern
River of Dreams bed runner knitting pattern is available on RavelryCraftsyLoveKnitting and Etsy.

Designed for Super Bulky Yarn:
I used Lion Brand Hometown USA super bulky yarn for my River of Dreams bed runner.  I picked the 'Springfield Silver' shade which looks great with the neutral color palette in our guest room.

Lion Brand Hometown USA is very soft and very economically priced. The yarn is available in a wide range of colors. I especially love the neutrals such as 'Dallas Grey' (see it shown in my Westport Blanket knitting pattern), 'Chicago Charcoal' (see it shown in my North of the River blanket), and 'Houston Cream' (I'm working on a project with this right now!).

Note that 'Springfield Silver' is one of the "print" or "tweed" colorways and comes in 64 yard skeins.  Solid color Hometown USA skeins are 81 yards.  Be sure to double check the yardage when purchasing.

If you prefer a woolly texture and appearance...try Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick.  I've used it with many designs - such as my Game Time blanket below.

Working on my River of Dreams bed runner blanket knitting design.

2. My second favorite pattern from 2018 is my Game Time blanket (and scarf) design.  In late September, I decided I really wanted to make a fall inspired blanket and it called for branching out from my standard blue and gray color palette!  I ordered 8 skeins of the 'Mustard' colorway of Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick. The day the yarn arrived I cast on for this blanket...and I finished knitting the blanket within eight days!  I enjoyed knitting outside on some beautiful fall days when the leaves were changing colors...matching my mustard yellow yarn.

Game Time blanket knitting pattern.
Game Time blanket & scarf knitting pattern is available on RavelryEtsy, Craftsy    and LoveKnitting.

This pattern uses an easy to remember four row repeat stitch pattern that gives great texture and is reversible!

I made the medium size throw which is 41" wide x 45" long.  The pattern includes instructions for 6 blanket sizes...plus a scarf.

This blanket is a favorite because I loved the experience of knitting it last fall, outside when the weather was beautiful, and I'm so pleased with how the color worked with the texture of the pattern.

3. And...my third favorite pattern from 2019 is my Quality Time scarf (and blanket) knitting pattern.  It's the worsted weight version of the Game Time blanket (above).  This pattern is a favorite because of the memories of the day I bought the yarn...and because I have worn this scarf on every cold day this winter!

Quality Time scarf knitting pattern by Fifty Four Ten Studio.
Quality Time blanket and scarf knitting pattern is available on RavelryEtsyLoveKnitting and Craftsy.

I used two skeins of Malabrigo Rios in 'Bobby Blue' which I bought at a cute shop in Fairfield, Iowa called At Home Store.  They have a beautiful selection of kitchen, home and baby gifts...as well as a lovely selection of yarn!  This scarf  reminds me of one of my favorite days of 2018 when I got to spend some quality time with someone special.

_________________________________________


Here's a sneak peak at one of the projects I'm working on right now...

Working on a new blanket knitting pattern design.
The yarn for this project is Lion Brand's new 'Color Made Easy' bulky weight yarn in the colorway 'Basalt'.  I'm thrilled with the stitch definition of this yarn and I absolutely love the color.  A really nice rich medium gray...a lovely neutral shade.

I have a long list of knitting goals for 2019!  Stay tuned!  I'll share updates on Instagram and  Facebook.  And, sign up for my email announcements using the 'Subscribe to our email list' option on the right side of your computer screen - near the top of the blog page. (This may not show up as an option when viewing on your phone - still working on how to successfully provide this option without annoying pop-ups!)  

To learn more about each of my patterns, visit my pages on RavelryLoveKnittingEtsy and  Craftsy (soon to be called Bluprint).

Best wishes for a healthy and happy new year!

Mary Lee
Fifty Four Ten Studio


No comments:

Post a Comment