Friday, September 1, 2017

New Blanket Knitting Pattern - On the Map

I'm so happy to announce my newest blanket knitting pattern - On the Map.

The On the Map blanket is easy to knit with worsted weight yarn.  The pattern includes instructions for six sizes...see details below.

The pattern is now available on Ravelry, CraftsyEtsy and LoveKnitting.

On the Map - easy blanket knitting pattern.
I love maps!  In fact, I still prefer paper maps to using a GPS.  Ask my family and they will tell you that I bring our well worn 2005 Rand McNally Atlas on every road trip.  I have written dots, arrows and notes on the map showing the location of favorite restaurants and convenient gas station stops, as well as travel dates and times, for just about every trip we've taken in the last 12 years.  It's sort of like a trip journal!

My 'On the Map' knitting pattern also reminds me of the way much of Kansas City (my hometown) was planned with a very even, grid system of streets.  The tiny squares in the knitting pattern remind me of the intersections of the main thoroughfares in our city.

Enough about my obsession with maps!  Here's some more info about the pattern...

I really enjoyed knitting this blanket with Valley Yarns 'Valley Superwash' in the color 'Colonial Blue' from WEBS.  This yarn is lovely!  It's made of 100% extra fine merino wool. It's so soft and a delightful to knit with.  And...the color really speaks to me...it reminds me of my childhood home where this color could be found in almost every room.

WEBS offers a kit to make my On the Map blanket using the same yarn shown in these photos!  Visit their website for the details.  How nice that they offer the kit (yarn and pattern) in a choice of all six blanket sizes!

I used Valley Yarns 'Valley Superwash' yarn in 'Colonial Blue'.
Directions for 6 Sizes:

Approximate sizes after blocking...
Baby: 28.25" wide x 31" long
Small (Crib/Lap): 30" wide x 34" long
Medium Blanket: 33" wide x 43.5" long
Large Throw: 37.75" wide x 46.5" long
XL Afghan: 42.5" wide x 50" long
XXL Afghan: 47.5" wide x 53" long 

Any of the blanket sizes may be made longer by adding pattern repeats.  The pattern includes estimates for additional yarn needed to add length to each blanket size.

Worsted Weight Yarn:

Baby: 600 - 620 yards
Small: 710 - 730 yards
Medium: 970 - 1000 yards
Large: 1240 - 1280 yards
XL: 1500 - 1550 yards
XXL: 1750 - 1850 yards

Be sure to buy additional yarn if you plan to add length to your blanket.

I made the medium size blanket (shown in the photos) which is about 33" wide and 43.5" long.  I used about 980 yards of yarn.

This pattern is designed for worsted weight yarn. And, it may also be used with DK or Aran weight yarn or similar.  Just pick the needle size that gives the best appearance for your yarn and knitting tension.  Finished size and amount of yarn needed may vary based on the weight of the yarn used.

On the Map - easy to knit blanket pattern with directions for 5 sizes.
I used US size 9 circular knitting needles.  Pick the needle size that gives the best appearance for your yarn and knitting tension.  

My gauge was about 15 stitches to 4" in stockinette stitch. Exact gauge is not essential.  However, you may use a bit more yarn (or less) if your gauge is significantly different.


I have had a few knitters ask me about how I maintain such clean edges on my blanket knitting projects.  One key is to change from one skein of yarn to the next in the middle of a row of knitting.  The only reason I would do an end of the row change is if I was changing from one color to another. 

End of the row changes are great when making a project with seams...such as a sweater.  However, with a blanket I would much rather weave in the ends in the middle of a row...like in the photo below.


Blocking Finished Blanket Improves Appearance:

Another way to improve the overall appearance of your finished blanket is to carefully block the finished knitting with blocking mats and pins.

Here's what my blanket looked like before blocking...

On the Map Blanket - BEFORE BLOCKING
Notice how the stockinette stitch section is sort of puckering and the entire middle section of the blanket looks kind of lumpy.  The purl stitches that make up the 'dots' in the pattern appear almost lost.

Here's the blanket after blocking.  The stockinette stitch areas are completely flat and smooth...almost like it was ironed!  Now the purl stitches that make up the 'dots' in the center pattern really pop.  And...the puckering situation is gone.  The seed stitch border gives a lovely texture contrast to the smooth stockinette stitch.

On the Map Blanket - AFTER BLOCKING

I have to admit....I have been knitting for over 40 years (I can't believe it's been that long!) and I had never blocked a piece of knitting until early 2016!  I have found that blocking has improved the final appearance of every blanket I have blocked.  


Thanks so much for reading and for your interest in my knitting patterns.  I have lots of knitting plans in the works right now that I'm looking forward to sharing with you in the months to come.

Happy knitting!

Mary Lee
Fifty Four Ten Studio

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful blanket and I love the shade of blue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Can't wait to try this one - I think the non-fussy patterns are the most beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I hope you enjoy using the pattern.
      Mary Lee

      Delete