Sunday, November 20, 2016

Chunky Blanket Knitting Pattern - Across the Diamond

I'm so excited to announce my new chunky blanket knitting pattern - Across the Diamond.

Across the Diamond blanket knitting pattern is available on Ravelry, Craftsy, Etsy and LoveKnitting.

Across the Diamond blanket knitting pattern.
This blanket is easy to knit with super bulky yarn.  I used Loops & Threads Cozy Wool in the color 'Stone".  This yarn is sold at Michael's Crafts.  The yarn is very soft and makes a great blanket.

New chunky blanket knitting pattern - "Across the Diamond".
If you are a baseball fan, you may have already figured out the inspiration for the name of this blanket.  Sets of four purl stitches are similar to the layout of a baseball diamond.  I started designing this blanket while watching the 2016 World Series.  When I read an article in the newspaper about one of the games, the phrase "across the diamond" jumped off the page.  I knew that was the name I wanted to use for this blanket pattern!

I am a life long Kansas City Royals baseball fan.  I remember going to a few games as a child with my family and watching many games on TV.  When I attended college in another state, the Royals won the World Series.  I watched all of the games in the dorm basement on a small television with only one other person...a girl from St. Louis...who was cheering for the other team...the Cardinals.  Last year, our city was decked out in royal blue as we watched the Royals win the World Series. It was a really memorable event that brought our city together.

MARCH 2018 UPDATE: I used my 'Across the Diamond' pattern to make a baby blanket to give as a gift.  I love how it turned out in this bright blue yarn....read more about this project here on my blog.  This yarn is Lion Brand Hometown USA in 'Charlotte Blue'.

Across the Diamond blanket knitting pattern in bright blue!
The pattern includes instructions for making five blanket sizes.

Approximate dimensions after blocking:

XL Blanket: 48" wide x 52" long
Large Throw: 41" wide x 47" long
Medium Throw: 37.5" wide x 42" long
Small Crib / Lap Blanket: 34" wide x 37" long
Baby Blanket: 30.5" wide x 32" long

It is easy to make any of the blanket sizes longer.  The pattern includes more information, including estimates on how much additional yarn would be needed to make each size blanket longer.

Easy to knit blanket with wide seed stitch border.
The blanket is knit in one piece, back and forth on long circular knitting needles.  I use US size 13 knitting needles 38" in length.  This length can easily accommodate a 40" -  50" wide blanket...or a bit larger.  It's really worth investing in set of circular needles with a long cord if you like to knit blankets.

Stitch markers are handy for keeping track of the pattern.
Stitch markers are helpful for keeping track of the pattern.  Yes...it's an easy pattern to remember.  But, the stitch markers help knitters remember when to pay attention.  The green stitch markers show in the photo above are Clover Jumbo Ring Markers.  I can't remember where I bought my set of stitch markers but it looks like they are available on Craftsy and at JoAnn's.

Across the Diamond - easy blanket knitting pattern.
I can't believe this is my 10th blanket knitting pattern!  I really love knitting blankets with super bulky yarn.  Cozy blankets make great gifts.  The added bonus is these knitting projects keep me warm as I knit on a cold day!

The Across the Diamond blanket knitting pattern is available on Ravelry, LoveKnitting, Craftsy and Etsy.  (See more photos of this design on this blog post.)

Thanks so much for reading!  Happy knitting!

Mary Lee
Fifty Four Ten Studio

No comments:

Post a Comment