Tuesday, October 10, 2017

New Cozy Blanket Knitting Pattern - Winter Dance

I'm so excited to announce my new blanket knitting pattern - Winter Dance.

Winter Dance blanket knitting pattern is available on Ravelry, LoveKnitting and Etsy.


I love the chunky texture of this blanket!  It's big, thick and cozy....perfect for cold winter nights.

Winter Dance - cozy, chunky blanket knitting pattern. 
It was so fun to design this blanket as a collaboration with Lion Brand Yarn Company!

I used their popular Wool-Ease Thick & Quick super bulky yarn in the color 'Denim'.

Lion Brand is offering a kit to make the Winter Dance afghan!  The kit includes enough yarn to make an extra-large afghan (46" x 57") using the lovely 'Denim' blue colorway.

I have used Wool-Ease Thick & Quick for many projects and I am always very pleased with the results.  This was the first time I used the 'Denim' shade of blue and I absolutely love it!  I will definitely use this lovely blue yarn in future projects.

Winter Dance afghan blanket - fun to knit with super bulky yarn!
I loved knitting this blanket!  The center pattern is a four row repeat that is very easy to remember. The blanket is framed by a classic, easy-to-knit seed stitch border.

This blanket design will look great with just about any decorating style.

My denim blue version of the Winter Dance blanket will be a favorite in our home for years to come!

Winter Dance blanket knitting pattern - shown in XL Afghan size.
I made the "XL" size...it's a big, cozy afghan!  It's about 46" wide and 57" long.

The pattern includes instructions for six sizes so you can knit a blanket for just about anyone.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR SIX SIZES:
approximate sizes after blocking...

Baby/Infant Blanket: 30" wide x 32" long
Small - Crib/Lap Blanket: 34" wide x 39.5" long
Medium Throw: 38" wide x 44" long
Large Throw: 42" wide x 48" long
XL Afghan: 46" wide x 57" long
XXL Afghan: 52" wide x 60" long

Any of the blanket sizes may be make longer by adding additional pattern repeats.

This blanket is fun to knit with super bulky yarn & big needles.
SUPER BULKY YARN:
This pattern is designed for use with super bulky yarn.

Yardage needed...

Baby: 300 - 320 yards
Small: 460 - 480 yards
Medium: 570 - 600 yards
Large: 690 - 730 yards
XL: 900 - 950 yards
XXL: 1100 - 1165 yards

My favorite choice for this blanket is Lion Brand's Wool-Ease Thick & Quick in a solid color.  This yarn is 20% wool and 80% acrylic...so it has a lovely soft, woolly texture.  This yarn is available in lots of colors!

This blanket would also look wonderful knit with Lion Brand Hometown USA. Hometown USA is a good choice if you prefer a yarn without wool.  It's available in lots of colors!  Check out 'Washington Denim' if you like a color similar to the one I used.  My other favorite shades in Hometown USA are 'Dallas Grey' and 'Houston Cream'.

The texture of the pattern will show up best with solid color yarns.

Be sure to purchase additional yarn if you plan to add length to your blanket.  The pattern includes estimates on how much additional yarn is required to add pattern repeats.

A seed stitch border frames my Winter Dance blanket.
TIP: To keep the edges 'clean'...transition from one skein of yarn to the next somewhere in the middle of a row.  It's easier to hide the woven-in ends in the center of a row on the wrong side of your knitting.

Weaving in the ends on my new blanket.
When you are finished knitting and weaving in the ends, I highly recommend blocking this blanket. Read my recent blog post for lots of tips on blocking a handknit blanket.

Knitters often ask if my blanket patterns are reversible...this one is not reversible.  This blanket definitely looks prettier on the "right side".

Winter Dance - chunky blanket knitting pattern.  Love the texture!
You might be wondering about the name for this blanket.  Let's just say that it's named in memory of a dear friend who was like an aunt to me.  She loved all of the seasons...especially a beautiful, snowy winter day.

Winter Dance blanket knitting pattern is available on Ravelry, Etsy and LoveKnitting.

Thanks so much for your interest in my patterns!

Happy knitting!

Mary Lee
Fifty Four Ten Studio

4 comments:

  1. Hello Mary Lee,
    Thank you so much for your giveaway.I absolutely Love your designs..so clean,clear and easy!
    Thank you again,Rene Reynolds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! Thanks so much for your very sweet, kind words about my patterns. Happy knitting!
      Mary Lee
      Fifty Four Ten Studio

      Delete
  2. Love your designs. I am currently making your Westport Blanket. Modified the size for what I wanted. Beautiful with alpaca wool and other wool blend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your nice comment! I'm so happy to hear that you are enjoying the Westport Blanket knitting pattern. Sounds lovely with alpaca & wool. Happy knitting!
      Mary Lee

      Delete