Saturday, September 9, 2017

The Final Step of Your Knitting Project: Blocking

Blocking your finished knitting project makes a big difference in the appearance of your project!

If you have not blocked a finished knitting piece before, it's not hard...it just takes a little extra time but it's worth the effort.  I have written about blocking several times here on my blog but I thought it would be helpful to put all my tips in one place.

January 28, 2020 UPDATE:  CLICK HERE to read the updated version of this post on my new website.


Here's a step by step guide....

How to block a blanket or other knitting project:

1. After finishing your knitting, weave in all the ends on the back of your knitting.

First, weave in all the ends on the back of your knitting.
2. Soak the knitting in cold water for 20+ minutes in the kitchen sink, a large bowl or a large pot.

Place knitting in the sink and add cold water.

Soak the knitting in cold water for several minutes.
3. Pull the plug to allow the water to drain out.  Let the blanket sit for a few minutes to allow excess water to drain off a bit. Gently press out water but do not wring or twist the knitting.

Allow water to drain out of sink.  Let blanket sit for a few minutes to drain excess water.
4. Carefully transfer knitting out of sink and set on an old towel for a few minutes to soak up a bit of excess water.

Place knitting on an old towel to soak up a bit of the excess water.
5. Set up blocking mats on a carpeted or water resistant floor (don't set up on hardwood floors!).  Or, if you have space, set them up on a craft table or counter top with a water resistant surface.

There are lots of choices for blocking mats. I have two sets of POCO-DIVO "child play mats".  Each set includes nine 12" mats that fit together like puzzle pieces.  I have two sets so I have enough pieces to make a mat large enough to block large blankets. These were the most inexpensive option I could find when I purchased them.

There are other blocking mat products available...including this set of 9 grid style mats and T-pins or this set with grid lines and included T-pins looks very nice.

Another idea I learned from one of my customers is to use yoga mats or exercise foam mats for blocking...what a great 'multipurpose' idea!

If you do not have blocking mats...it is definitely possible to have good results without them.  You can set your blanket up on old towels or a sheet...just make sure the surface underneath is water resistant.  I blocked my Belleview Blanket without mats or pins...

Blocking without mats or pins can work out great too!

6. Carefully unfold the wet knitting and spread it out on the blocking mat.  At first your knitting will likely look a bit messy and uneven...

Place knitting on blocking mats...but don't leave it like this!
7. Next, carefully adjust the knitting so that the stitches on the edges and center of knitting are straight and even (or the desired shape).  Use the edges of the mat and a ruler as a guide to make the edges very straight.

If your finished knitting is supposed to be blocked to a specific size...use those dimensions as a guide to adjust your knitting to the desired size.  This might require "nudging" the stitches closer together if the knitting stretched out a bit when wet.

Check the stitches in the center of the blanket and adjust as necessary to make the rows straight and even.
Adjust knitting so edges & center of knitting are straight and even.
The blanket shown in the two photos above is my Over the Rooftops knitting pattern.  See more photos here on my blog of how much better this project looked after blocking.

8. Use rust resistant T-pins or other blocking pins to pin the edges in place.

Edges of my Third Street Blanket pinned in place.

9. Allow knitting to dry.  If desired, set up a small fan to expedite the drying process.  A worsted weight knitting project may dry within about a day.  However, a large blanket knit with super bulky yarn may take 2 to 4 days to dry depending on the yarn, air temperature, etc.  It's worth the wait!

10. Enjoy your finished knitting project!

In case you are wondering....why should I block my knitting project...here's a few thoughts...

Some projects will look just fine without blocking.  But, many projects look so much better after blocking.  Here's one of my favorite before and after blocking comparisons...
Before & after blocking my 'On the Map' blanket knitting pattern.
Before I blocked my 'On the Map' blanket the stockinette stitch section was sort of puckering and the entire middle section of the blanket looked 'lumpy' and unattractive.  The purl stitches that make up the 'dots' in the pattern were sinking...the blanket didn't look that great.

After blocking...the stockinette stitch area is completely flat and smooth...almost like it was ironed! The purl stitches that make up the 'dots' in the center pattern really pop.  And...the puckering situation is gone!  Here's another photo of this blanket after it was blocked...

On the Map blanket after blocking....I love how it looks!
I admit that I had never blocked any knitting projects until about two years ago.  I have been knitting since I was about 8 years old and worked in a yarn shop in college...and in all my years of knitting (including the many sweaters I made years ago!) I never learned to block my knitting.  Now I block almost every project and I continue to be amazed at how much better my project looks after taking the time to block the knitting.

I hope this tutorial is helpful to you! Happy knitting!

Mary Lee
Fifty Four Ten Studio


8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this! Not many of my project require blocking, but a couple of new ones do. I feel much more confident now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to hear that this is helpful information for you! Happy knitting! Mary Lee

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this great article! I assume the same blocking technique works if the project has been crocheted? Would you do anything differently for something somewhat "lacy" like a shawl or other garment that was stitched with a more open pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have experience with crochet...but I would assume that these tips would work equally well with crochet. I really don't do "lacy" style knitting but I think that the tips would also help with that. The key is to block your item in the shape that is desired to train your stitches. So...if you are finishing an asymmetrical lacy knitted shawl you would want to block it to the desired shape...and size. Hope that helps answer your questions!

      Delete
  3. This is very helpful info; I thank you. I have some projects in the works, and I'm adding the child's play mats to my shopping list. Easy set up, easy break down & storage. Perfect! 👍

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes...the play mats are super easy to use and usually pretty inexpensive! Happy knitting!
    Mary Lee

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just finished my first knitting project. I'm hearing from different sources about blocking. I'm wondering: Do I need to block the project if I was planning on washing it anyway? Is it just kind of like washing it and reshaping and laying it flat to dry? What's the difference? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually recommend hand washing just about any hand knit item...it will look better longer. (However...if it's a high use baby blanket with machine washable yarn I can understand putting it in the washing machine!) And yes...lay the knitting flat to dry...and the blocking part is to take it one step further and carefully arrange your knitting when it's wet so that the edges and stitches are lined up evenly. If it's a rectangular blanket...I want all the edges to be neat and square...and pinned in place so the stitches will dry in a neat fashion. I hope this helps answer your question!
      Mary Lee

      Delete