Thursday, May 25, 2017

The Boulevard Blanket - Free Chunky Knitting Pattern - Updated!

Two years ago this week I published my first blanket knitting pattern - The Boulevard Blanket.  This blanket is quick and easy to knit...and it's reversible!  This is a great pattern for any level of knitter.

I'm happy to announce that The Boulevard Blanket knitting pattern has been updated to include instructions for six blanket sizes!

Download the updated pattern for free on Ravelry, LoveKnitting and Craftsy.

This pattern is very easy but once in a while knitters need a little extra help getting on track.  Here's a free PDF tutorial for The Boulevard Blanket to address the most common questions.

The Boulevard Blanket - Free Knitting Pattern
This warm, cozy, chunky blanket is very easy to knit with super bulky yarn.

The updated pattern includes instructions for six blanket sizes.

SIX BLANKET SIZES:
Baby/Infant Blanket: 28" wide x 28" long
Small (Crib/Lap): 35" wide x 40" long
Medium Throw: 38" wide x 46" long
Large Throw: 44" wide x 50" long
XL Afghan: 47" wide x 55" long
XXL Afghan: 53" wide x 60" long

YARDAGE - SUPER BULKY YARN:
Baby: 320 - 330 yards
Small: 590 - 600 yards
Medium: 730 - 740 yards
Large: 925 - 940 yards
XL: 1100 - 1150 yards
XXL: 1350 - 1400 yards

It's very easy to make any of the blankets longer!  Simply keep knitting and you can bind off on any row.  In the pattern I have included estimates of how much yardage is needed to add 2" in length to each blanket size.

Knitting with Lion Brand Hometown USA in 'Washington Denim'
Months ago, I started knitting a little blanket using Lion Brand Hometown USA in 'Washington Denim'.  You may have seen the photo above on my Instagram feed...way back in January!  The Hometown USA yarn is easy to knit with and very economical.  I love how this little blue blanket turned out!

The Boulevard Blanket - quick & easy to knit with super bulky yarn!
This pattern will work well with many super bulky weight yarns.  I used Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick for the ivory blanket in the photos in this post.

Another great super bulky yarn option is Valley Yarns Superwash Super Bulky from WEBS Yarn Store...it's a lovely yarn...very soft, beautiful stitch definition, and gorgeous colors.

At first glance, you may think that The Boulevard Blanket is knit with simple garter stitch...but look again! An easy K3, P3 repeat pattern creates a subtle vertical striping effect.  The knitting pattern looks the same on both sides...it's reversible!

The Boulevard Blanket knitting pattern - it's reversible!
For The Boulevard Blanket I usually recommend a solid color yarn so the texture of the knitting shows up best.   However, sometimes multi color yarn can have fun results...one Ravelry knitter used two strands of Aran weight multicolored yarn knit together and it looks so cute!

If you are a beginning knitter...I would suggest sticking with solid color yarn....and you might want to avoid a really dark color as it can be challenging to see your stitches.

I used US size 13 knitting needles for this blanket.  You could also try US size 15 knitting needles.  Exact gauge is not important.  However, this pattern looks best with fairly tight knitting.  The vertical stripe effect will not show up as distinctly with loose knitting.

When knitting blankets, I recommend using long circular knitting needles to accommodate all of the stitches easily. Work back and forth just as you would with straight needles...at the end of the row simply turn the knitting and start knitting the next row.

Binding off the last stitch on The Boulevard Blanket
The name for this blanket is inspired by my hometown...Kansas City.  The subtle stripes made me think of all the beautiful streets we have in Kansas City.  An old promotional slogan for the city said "More boulevards than Paris, more fountains than Rome."  I can't confirm if either of these claims are true but we do have many attractive tree lined boulevards in my hometown....thus The Boulevard Blanket.

The Boulevard Blanket - named for the boulevards in Kansas City
The Boulevard Blanket is easy to knit and is a great pattern for a confident beginner.  If you know how to knit and purl...and switch back and forth between knit and purl...you can knit this blanket!

If you like this pattern you might also like my other easy to knit blanket patterns.

These blanket patterns were also named for neighborhoods and streets in Kansas City. Click to read more about them here on my blog:

Third Street Blanket
Westport Blanket
Belleview Blanket
Brookside Blanket
State Line Blanket

I have a couple of new designs in the works right now. I love testing out new ideas and planning out a pattern...designing is a bit of trial and error.  Sometimes ideas start from a sketch on paper and sometimes they come together by trying ideas with the yarn and needles.

Testing out new design ideas with Valley Yarns Superwash Super Bulky.
I loved using Valley Yarns Superwash Super Bulky (from WEBS Yarn Store) in 'Light Blue' (above) for a new blanket pattern that is coming soon!  Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and my Ravelry Group for updates.  You can also subscribe to my email list...there's a spot to fill in your contact info on the right side of my blog.

The Boulevard Blanket knitting pattern is always free and available on Ravelry, LoveKnitting and Craftsy.

Thanks so much for reading and for your interest in my knitting patterns!

Happy knitting!

Mary Lee
Fifty Four Ten Studio

6 comments:

  1. Hi, I love your blanket patterns they look beautiful but I live in the UK. What size needles would I need to use here? Thank you, Gemma x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your interest in my patterns! My knitting gauge tool says a US 13 knitting needle is the same as 9 mm. I'm not an expert on UK knitting needle sizes but I just found a handy chart on another website. Looks like a good reference for comparing needle sizes...
    http://www.katyafrankel.com/p/a-handy-conversion-chart-of-knitting.html
    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stumbled upon your website and am so glad I did. Your designs are beautiful.
    Thank you, Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a fan of circular needles. Is it possible to use straight needles for this pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be able to use straight needles to make a baby size blanket. However, for any of the larger blankets you really need the circular needles to have the long cord to hold all the stitches. You really won't be able to fit 75 - 100+ stitches with super bulky yarn on traditional straight needles. Use the circular needles just like you would straight needles...turning the work at the end of the row. For a big blanket...circular knitting needles are the way to go! I know it feels different than knitting with straight needles!
      Mary Lee

      Delete