Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Knitting the Coastline Scarf from 'Making' Magazine Issue No. 4 / LINES

In early February spent most of a Sunday afternoon organizing my yarn and making a list of projects I wanted to work on using some beautiful yarn I have purchased in the last couple of years. A lot of the yarn was purchased when I was on a trip...'souvenir yarn'!

I have a trip planned for March so I decided I really needed to use some of the pretty stash yarn I have on hand before I buy more!  One of the goals in using my stash yarn was to make a few wearable items for myself...it had been a really long time since I've knit something for myself.

Coastline Scarf

The first project I decided to tackle was the Coastline Scarf which is part of the beautiful collection of designs in Issue No. 4 of Making magazine. (See the lovely cover of the magazine included in the photos below.)

I love how my Coastline Scarf turned out! I love the texture...the yarn and the stitch pattern worked beautifully together. Here's how it looks after blocking...

Coastline Scarf knitting pattern from Making magazine Issue No. 4 / LINES.
About the yarn...

For my Coastline Scarf I used the two skeins of Shepherd's Wool in 'Great Lakes' from Stonehedge Fiber Mill that I purchased last fall.  I love this yarn!  It's simply gorgeous.  

This 'Great Lakes' colorway has a subtle tweed combination of rich teal and blue.  I thoroughly enjoyed knitting with this yarn and I'm looking forward to using it again.

Making Magazine - Issue No. 4....Coastline Scarf knitting pattern
This stitch pattern for the Coastline Scarf is easy to remember but it does involve an intermediate knitting skill: knitting...and purling...into the back of stitches.  This twists the stitches to create an interesting appearance and it is a nice companion to the garter stitch stitches.    

I really enjoyed knitting this scarf while watching the Olympics!  I love watching the Olympics...especially figure skating. I'm also intrigued by the cross country skiing and short track speed skating events.

Knitting the Coastline Scarf  with Shepherd's Wool from Stonehedge Fiber Mill
In case you are wondering....the little wood rectangular tray is from Crate & Barrel. It is sold in the 'appetizer' section....but I thought it would make a great addition to my studio table for corralling my knitting notions.  The best part...this beautiful tray was only about $10! 

In the photo below...I only had a couple more rows to finish on my scarf...

Almost finished with my Coastline Scarf - love the texture!
I made my scarf about 68" long...a bit longer than specified in the pattern.  I was able to keep knitting away because I had plenty of yarn.  Shepherd's Wool comes in generous 250 yard skeins.  I used approximately 400 - 425 yards of yarn total.

This scarf definitely needs blocking for best appearance. I used my inexpensive blocking mats and Knitter's Pride T-Pins. 
Blocking the Coastline Scarf
The Lost Sheep Yarn Shop in Sheboygan, Wisconsin

I first discovered this beautiful Stonehedge Fiber Mill yarn when we were in Sheboygan, Wisconsin for a family wedding last October.  My very first stop after checking into our hotel was to visit The Lost Sheep Yarn Shop...it's a darling shop!  

I had heard a bit about the shop in advance because the shop is owned by "the pastor's wife"...."the pastor" performed the wedding ceremony for my brother-in-law and his bride-to-be!  I had a great time shopping at this cute little yarn shop and I will look forward to visiting again in the future.  Here's a couple photos of the inside of the shop:

The Lost Sheep Yarn Shop in Sheboygan, Wisconsin.
I think some of the Stonehedge Fiber Mill yarn is displayed in the metal washtubs on the wall...so cute!  And...note the Green Bay Packers (green & yellow) and University of Wisconsin (red & white) themed yarns offered...since the shop is in Wisconsin!
The Lost Sheep Yarn Shop - Sheboygan, WI.
Look for Shepherd's Wool at your favorite local yarn shop.  There's a handy directory on the Stonehedge Fiber website to check for retailers...sorted by U.S. state.

Working on ideas for my next project...

I have a few other options in my stash yarns that are competing for attention.  I think the yarn that will get used first is this lovely 'Lakeshore' colorway in a super wash option of Shepherd's Wool. I purchased this yarn at The Lost Sheep Yarn Shop also...I have four beautiful skeins (1,000 yards!) to work with...still deciding what I will make. :) 

Shepherd's Wool superwash worsted in 'Lakeshore' from Stonehedge Fiber Mill.
I baked these oatmeal cookies a few days ago.  I had been craving them for a couple weeks...it had been far too long since I made these!  The recipe is not fancy...just the basic recipe provided on the inside of the lid of the canister of Quaker Oats....except I left out the raisins.  I love the cinnamon smell when these cookies are baking!

Today...winter weather has returned...ice and freezing rain.  Hoping we don't loose our power and internet!  

Thanks so much for reading!  Happy knitting!

Mary Lee
Fifty Four Ten Studio



No comments:

Post a Comment