Monday, February 17, 2014

Time to Knit Christmas Ornament Presents for 2014!

It looks like knitters are starting to think about Christmas presents for 2014.  Last Saturday, the day after Valentine’s Day, there was a mysterious surge in sales of my Mini Mitten Christmas Ornament knitting pattern.   Love it!

Every year, I try to knit lots of ornaments throughout the year and then I have gifts ready to wrap up in December.  Well, truthfully….I don’t always succeed with planning ahead and I’m scrambling in December to finish knitting ornaments! 

Even when I’m behind on planning, I love making Christmas ornaments for my family and friends!  One size fits all!  Last Christmas, the mini mitten ornaments were wrapped up for my extended family.


If you’ve checked out my knitting patterns, you’ve noticed that I love to layer textures by adding felt appliqué designs.  The mini mitten pattern includes four different felt appliqué design ideas…a heart, a star, a snowman and a gingerbread house. 

The gingerbread house is my favorite!  I knit this mitten with Manos Maxima Worsted Merino Wool in the color “Stratus”.  I love this yarn!  This pale ice blue has gorgeous subtle color variations due to the kettle dye process.  With 219 yards per skein you can make eight beautiful mini mitten ornaments.


I keep a jar of my grandmother’s old buttons in my studio and I picked a couple of buttons to sew to the heart and star appliqué designs.


These red and white mittens with heart appliqué designs were made with Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Worsted.  I have used this yarn for many projects over the years and it is always dependable.  One skein will make seven ornaments. 

This knitting pattern is easy!  If you’ve never knit a mitten before this would be a great pattern to try.  The mittens are knit flat with straight needles.  I’ve assumed that you know how to cast on stitches, knit and purl confidently, knit two stitches together, sew up simple seams and have basic sewing experience.   

The pattern includes detailed photo tutorial instructions for M1 increase stitch (how to increase stitches to make the thumb of the mitten).  These are just two of the many tutorial photos included in the pattern.


There are patterns for the felt appliqué designs and detailed instructions for embroidery stitches.  If you would like to make a matching pair of mittens, there are instructions for both right and left handed mittens.

If you are looking for a fun gift card holder, these mittens are the perfect size to tuck a little cash or gift card inside.

You can purchase my pattern through my Etsy shop or on Ravelry.  Or, see the Pattern Store tab above.

These little mittens knit up quick and will be a special keepsake ornament for your tree or a memorable gift.  Make lots of these mini mitten Christmas ornaments and wrap them up to give to your mom, sister, aunt, cousins, neighbors, your child’s teacher, and your special friends.  Start knitting now, while you are watching the Olympics, and you be all set for gift giving next Christmas!










No comments:

Post a Comment