Monday, September 17, 2018

Piece of Home - Blanket Knitting Pattern

I'm so happy to introduce my new blanket knitting pattern - Piece of Home.

This blanket pattern is designed for worsted weight yarn.  The pattern may also be used with similar weight yarns.

Piece of Home blanket knitting pattern is available on Ravelry, Craftsy LoveKnitting and Etsy.

Piece of Home blanket knitting pattern by Fifty Four Ten Studio
INSPIRATION FOR THE NAME OF THE PATTERN:

They say that a smell can bring back strong memories.  For me, it's often a color that triggers memories.  When I opened the box with this beautiful olive shade of yarn I was immediately transported back to my childhood home and flooded with vivid memories of my family's favorite room in our home.  (If you have been following my blog for a while you may recall that I had a similar reaction with a beautiful blue yarn!)

While most of my childhood home was decorated in my mother's favorite color blue, there was one exception.  The 'den', or family room, was the one space that featured the popular earthy shades of the 1970's...with the comfy chairs covered in olive colored corduroy fabric.  The den was the tiniest room in the house where I watched TV after school, played games (Monopoly and Mastermind were two of my favorites!), and worked on art projects on a large cardboard storage box that served as my 'art desk'.

As I finished up this design it dawned on me...the den, with the well loved, olive green chairs, was the room where my mother taught me how to knit when I was about eight years old.

Working on this blanket design brought back so many special childhood memories.  For me, it's a piece of home.

SIX BLANKET SIZES:
The pattern includes instructions for six blanket sizes.

Approximate sizes after blocking...

Baby Blanket: 29.25" wide x 32" long
Small Crib/Lap Blanket: 31.75" wide x 37" long
Medium Throw: 34" wide x 44.5" long
Large Throw: 38.75" wide x 47" long
XL Afghan: 41" wide x 49.5" long
XXL Afghan: 45.75" wide x 54.5" long

It's easy to make any of the blanket sizes longer (or shorter) by adjusting the number of pattern repeats.  Each additional pattern repeat adds about 2.5" to the overall length of the blanket.  The pattern includes estimates for how much additional yarn is needed to make each blanket size longer.

Piece of Home - blanket knitting pattern for worsted weight yarn.
WORSTED WEIGHT YARN:

I used Cloudborn Superwash Merino Worsted Twist for this pattern design.

Amount of yarn needed for each blanket size:

Baby: 700 - 720 yards
Small: 870 - 900 yards
Medium: 1060 - 1100 yards
Large: 1350 - 1400 yards
XL: 1500 - 1550 yards
XXL: 1800 - 1900 yards

I used US size 8 knitting needles and my gauge in stockinette stitch with this yarn was about 17 stitches x 24 rows = 4" (after blocking and allowing the knitting to relax).

Keep in mind that the amount of yarn needed could vary if your gauge is significantly different.

The pattern can easily be adapted for yarn that is slightly heavier or lighter weight.  Just pick the needle size that works best for your yarn and knitting tension.

If you are interested in using super bulky weight yarn, see my Belleview Blanket knitting pattern.

Circular knitting needles are recommended to accommodate the large number of stitches.

The texture of this pattern will show up best with a solid color yarn.


Piece of Home - blanket knitting pattern - easy to knit!

CLOUDBORN SUPERWASH MERINO WORSTED TWIST:

I made my Piece of Home blanket using Cloudborn Superwash Merino Worsted Twist in the colorway 'Olive'.  This yarn is sold exclusively by Craftsy. This yarn is 100% superwash wool and it's lovely!  I am very please with how this yarn knits up!  The yarn is available in a beautiful selection of more than 30 colorways.  Each skein has about 220 yards and the price is very reasonable for this generous yardage (about $13.00 per skein...or less if on sale).

Knitting my 'Piece of Home' blanket with Cloudborn Superwash Merino Worsted Twist

WHERE TO GET THE PATTERN:

Piece of Home blanket knitting pattern is available on Ravelry, Craftsy, LoveKnitting and Etsy.

Piece of Home - blanket knitting pattern by Fifty Four Ten Studio
Thanks so much for reading!  Have a wonderful day!

Mary Lee
Fifty Four Ten Studio



No comments:

Post a Comment