Monday, January 15, 2018

River of Dreams - New Chunky Cable Bed Runner Knitting Pattern!

I'm so excited to introduce my new chunky, cable bed runner knitting pattern - River of Dreams!

I'm thrilled with how this blanket bed runner came together!  The blanket has one giant cable down the center and the entire blanket is framed by a seed stitch border.

River of Dreams - Bed Runner - Cable Blanket Knitting Pattern
Click here to purchase the pattern on Ravelry.

Click here to purchase the pattern on FiftyFourTenStudio.com. 

Click here to purchase the pattern on Etsy.

January 28, 2020 UPDATE: My blog has a new location at FiftyFourTenStudio.com!  Click here if you would like to read this post on my new website.


The design is simple and classic...but the super bulky yarn gives it a modern appearance that adds great texture to any bedroom decor.

River of Dreams - bed runner knitting pattern.
I'll warn you now....when you have this blanket proudly displayed at the foot of your bed...someone is going to see it and ask you to make a 'River of Dreams' bed runner blanket for them!

This design is a variation on my chunky cable blanket knitting pattern - North of the River.

'River of Dreams' seemed the perfect name for this cozy, bed runner blanket...to bring comfort and peaceful dreams.

A giant cable gives great texture to the River of Dreams bed runner.

And...if you choose to spend a lazy Saturday morning in bed...knitting and jotting down your day dreams...this River of Dreams blanket is sure to add a layer of coziness!

River of Dreams - cozy, cable bed runner blanket knitting pattern.

FOUR BED RUNNER SIZES

The pattern includes instructions for 4 bed sizes...Twin, Full, Queen & King.

Approximate dimensions after blocking:

Twin Bed Runner: 23" wide x 65" long
Full Bed Runner: 23" wide x 81" long
Queen Bed Runner: 23" wide x 89" long
King Bed Runner: 23" long x 105" long

Bed runner length is designed to drape over each side of the bed approximately 14 - 15", depending on the thickness of blankets underneath.

Note: This is an accent blanket designed to lay across the end of the bed.  It is not designed to cover the entire bed.

Bed runner knitting pattern - River of Dreams.
SUPER BULKY YARN

This bed runner blanket knitting pattern is designed for use with super bulky weight yarns.

Yarn requirements for each size:

Twin Bed Runner: 550 - 575 yards
Full Bed Runner: 670 - 700 yards
Queen Bed Runner: 720 - 750 yards
King Bed Runner: 900 - 950 yards

I used Lion Brand Hometown USA in 'Springfield Silver'.
YARN SUGGESTIONS

I used Lion Brand Hometown in 'Springfield Silver'. I have enjoyed using Hometown USA on many projects but this was the first time I have used 'Springfield Silver'...and it won't be the last.  I love this colorway!  The gentle heather silver gray is simply lovely!

Note about Yardage on Hometown: Check the label!  Yardage varies depending on the color.  Springfield Silver is one of the "print" colorways and has 64 yards per skein.  The solid color Hometown USA options have 81 yards per skein.

This blanket will look great in any color!  However, if you are thinking about using gray yarn and want to compare 'Springfield Silver' to other shades of gray...check out 'Dallas Grey' (nice medium gray - I used it for my Westport Blanket knitting pattern) and 'Chicago Charcoal' (dark charcoal gray - I used it for my North of the River cable blanket pattern). 'Cape Cod Tweed' also looks like a great option if you like little flecks of other colors mixed in (this shade is on my list to try soon!).

Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick would also work well with this pattern. It's a blend of 80% acrylic and 20% wool.  Nice texture and great stitch definition.  I have used this yarn for many blanket projects and I'm always thrilled with the results.  Get more details and shop for this yarn on the Lion Brand website and LoveCrafts.com.  

River of Dreams - Cable Bed Runner Knitting Pattern
CABLE KNITTING EXPERIENCE RECOMMENDED

If you have basic cable knitting experience this blanket is pretty easy to knit.  If you need a reminder on how to do cables...there are lots of video tutorials available.  This one from Wool and the Gang is pretty good.  And, Mama in a Stitch blog has a step by step photo tutorial.


Basic cable knitting experience recommended.

KNITTING NEEDLES

The blanket is worked flat, back and forth.  I used US size 15 circular knitting needles because I like having lots of room for the stitches.  My needles are about 38" long (shorter will work just fine).

If you are purchasing new needles for this project...I would recommend buying long circular needles because they will be very useful if you decide to try another (wider) blanket knitting project!

However, if you already own a set of US 15 straight needles they will work fine for this project since the blanket runner is not very wide.  Just make sure your needles are at least 14" long.

Finishing the last couple of rows of the seed stitch border.

BLOCKING RECOMMENDED

Careful blocking of the finished blanket is highly recommended!  I have said this over and over...I always love how my project looks after blocking...it is really worth the extra effort!

For tips, read my blog post about blocking.

HAND WASHING RECOMMENDED

Hometown USA is a 'machine washable' yarn.  So are many other yarns.  However...I think that any hand knit project, especially a large blanket, will look better if it is hand washed, and dried flat on blocking mats.  Hand washing takes extra time but it's worth it when you have put a lot of time into knitting your blanket!

WHERE TO GET THE PATTERN

Click here to purchase the pattern on FiftyFourTenStudio.com. 

Click here to purchase the pattern on Ravelry.

Click here to purchase the pattern on Etsy.

I loved making my River of Dreams bed runner...and it looks fantastic at the foot of the bed!

Thanks so much for reading and for your interest in my knitting designs.

Happy knitting!

Mary Lee
Fifty Four Ten Studio

River of Dreams bed runner knitting pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment